Type II : Multi-Inner Crowns Rubber Cap Snap-On Tension Retaining Prosthesis
- A truly effective treatment for deep pocket bifurcation or trifurcation periodontal disease
- If there are healthy teeth adjacent to somewhat sturdy compromised tooth, then the tooth should be saved at all costs. This also helps to restore its chewing function.
Periodontal disease and deep pocket furcation defect root section method.First, section the root trunk. Eliminate the pus filled chamber allowing easy access for oral hygiene. Fabricate multi-inner crowns (2 or 3) with bars connecting them to each other and casting post or tension retaining pin at appropriate places. (Casting post can be added at inner crown or T-post can be added at neighboring teeth.) Location of tension retaining fastener should depend on the strength of sectioned roots and their remaining usage years.
- After root sectioning, furcation defect pocket is eliminated. Cervical area around inner crowns and adjacent teeth can be easily accessed allowing dentists to perform oral hygienic care and treatment. Unlike conventional fixed prosthesis, oral hygiene and treatment are difficult and deceiving.
- Overgrown gums around the inner crown can be trimmed periodically for easy examination to ensure healthy gums and teeth. This provides essential oral hygiene (Similar to clean and healthy undersides of fingernails)
- Daily hygiene care plus periodic check-up with dentists ensure healthiness of gum and teeth.
- The wear and tear of supporting alloy plate on abutment tooth can lead to increased acidity of tooth. This can be filed and restored with resin composite. (Refer to teeth surface restoration method.)
This is what an originally severely decayed, odious, pus-filled, and swollen tooth (un-salvageable and must be extracted with current conventional practice) looks like after root canaled procedure and periodontal treatment a month and half later.
Bone directly below bifurcation is severely eroded and reduced.
Underwent endodontic treatment, the post was inserted into the devitalized root canal for added retention. Then root is sectioned to two parts. Now you have two independent and structurally sound partial root posts. Trim the gum surrounding the posts. Make NT Konus precise impression after gum recovers to a healthy state. (Picture at left is for illustration purpose only. This image is borrowed from another patient.)
Fabricate inner crowns with casting balls at partial root post’s positions. Bar connecting two inner crowns can be lowered to become the lever for tension retaining pin to latch on. (Both shoulders of second premolar and rear molars have been slightly reduced to fit supporting alloy plate.)
Rubber cap is positioned in the trough located at the ceiling of outer crown. Two or three rubber caps can be made. Tension retaining pin can also be added.
Furcation deep pocket now becomes tunnels and firewall. Hygiene is important. After about 4 months, damaged bone structure at left will partially grow back.
Upside-down U Rest Arm pieces need to be painted with opaque color for aesthetics.
No more food debris seeping underneath the gums due to blockage of Rest Arms.